Wednesday, January 13, 2016


Wistful Thinking?
 
My little granddaughter has just learned to shift from her tummy to a sitting position. 
 
 
 
Up until now, her parents would bathe her, feed her, put her in her crib, and Dahlia Lucine would just go to sleep. Well, that's over! Apparently last night she spent quite a bit of time just sitting in her crib and clapping.  Cute, right?
 
Today in my Bikram Yoga practice, I was lying in the long savassana between standing and floor postures when the image of my dad popped into my head.  Dad passed 24 years ago; this week, actually. He often "visits" me in Yoga and I figure that's because he was really big on exercise and for most of the time he was alive, I was a total couch potato.  I'd like to think he's proud of my Yoga commitment and just drops in to cheer me on sometimes. This always gives me great pleasure and peace but today my Third Eye gave me an even sweeter image.
 
As I lay there on the floor, eyes open, a very distinct image formed in my mind's eye.  There was my dad by Dahlia's crib playing dzappig (Armenian for pat-a-cake) with his great-granddaughter. Tears came to my eyes with this crazy, beautiful scene. A moment later, my Third Eye perspective widened to include the door to Dahlia's room.  Standing there was her dad's dad, Grandpa Andrew, watching what I was seeing.  Andrew transitioned almost exactly 7 years ago. As Andrew seemed reluctant to enter the room, I saw my dad motion to welcome him to the crib. And there the two of them helped clap Dahlia to sleep.
 
Sometimes we think, "Oh, how wonderful it would have been if so-and-so had been alive to enjoy this!"  I realize that my experience this morning could have been a total hallucination, brought on by an inner longing and the outrageous heat of the Bikram Studio.  But I prefer to hold fast to the idea that I was given a view of something very special that truly happened.
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment: